Hexagon Cushions

A couple of weeks ago a friend asked me to make two cushions for her. The cushions had to be hexagons. Of course I said yes. Why not? Cut the fabric, stitch together, ready. 

It was only now that I had time after a couple of Parties & Celebrations-weekends. I thought the cushions would be ready in less than an hour. They were, but that's without the time I needed to refresh my math knowledge to calculate the measurements of the six sides of the hexagon. I knew the simplest way was to draw a circle, measure six parts with equal angles from the center and then connect the points where the lines crossed the circle, but I didn't have the tools to measure six equal angles. I tried a couple of other calculations, involving trapeziums, angles, Pythagoras and such, and slowly a headache started to develop. 

After a couple of attempts my husband came along and asked what I was doing, not seeing me very often with mathematical formulas all around me. He tried to help me out by searching the internet and came up with the idea that I already knew without the help of the internet: the circle and the equal hooks. And... with an angle drawing tool. After that it was simple. And here they are: The Hexagon Cushions!




Comments

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Thank you for telling what you think!

Popular posts from this blog

Plague Doctor (free pattern)

Fisherman's Lamp

Crocheted Scrunchies