The Story of Sjakie


About three weeks ago I lost my beloved cat Sjakie. He was very attached to our family, especially me, and before all he wanted to protect us from what he thought was evil. Fighting with other cats and even (large) dogs he therefore saw as his duty. Because of a fight with a neighborhood cat he got an abces in his neck, so we had to go to the vet to release it. But the vet identified cardiomyopathy of Sjakie’s little heart, also. He recommended us to go for an echografy of the heart at another clinic, because our vet didn’t have the proper equipment.
 I wanted Sjakie’s abces to heal first, before going to another clinic, because my cat was so stressed, he scratched everybody in the treatment chamber and even bit me.

Three weeks later I came home from work and found him panting and with paralyzed paws and tail. Due to his heart disease two embolisms had hit him, one in his aorta and one in his lungs. He was in a lot of pain, very short-breathed and scared to death.
I took him to the vet again, but the vet told me there was little to no hope. I couldn’t see my dear little friend in pain and anxiety, so I couldn’t do anything else than ask to free him of his suffering.

The next day I was off from work. It was the day I wanted to go to the clinic with Sjakie for the echografy, to see what caused the cardiomyopathy and if he could be treated. Just one day too late…

I still miss my little friend a lot and felt like making some Black Cat crafts. This crochet cat is the first one, another project found on Grietjekarwietje (this one with tutorial).


Comments

  1. I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved kitty. I understand this pain, my sweet Bentley is so missed here. No words make the hurt go away, but time will help your heart.

    Hugs,
    Emily
    the French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your very sweet words, Emily. I'm sorry to hear you lost your cat, too. We all know that cats will not become as old as we do, but when the day comes to say goodbye to them, it's devastating.
    Have a nice weekend!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    I have a cat myself and he looks very much like your Sjakie.
    From what you wrote - you gave him a lot of love and a good life, and he will always live in your heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your very sweet words, Winnie! I will never forget him, that's true. Liz

      Delete
  4. I love your cat! Wonderful.
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so hard to make those final choices for our pets, but you did everything you could do under the circumstances. What a wonder cat and know you'll miss Sjakie forever. You have honored him in such a marvelous way and know that keeping this item close will ease your pain just a tad. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maggie. It was a very hard decision, but I didn't want him to suffer any longer. I know he had a good life with me and he was very loved, so I think he was happy here. Liz

      Delete
  6. So sorry for your loss of your kitty. At least he's not in pain or suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is why I will never have another pet. To much grief and pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a lot of grief and pain. But I'm very thankful for the ten years of cat love from Sjakie.

      Delete
  8. I am so sorry for the loss of your adorable furry friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Thank you for telling what you think!

Popular posts from this blog

Plague Doctor (free pattern)

Crochet Bag

Fisherman's Lamp