Crocheted Scrunchies

My daughter asked me to crochet some scrunchies for her. Not that much work, I thought, so one evening, after she went to bed, I started crocheting. Turned out next morning that the scrunchies that I made weren't exactly the ones she had in mind. She meant scrunchies like the fabric ones: a tunnel with a piece of elastic in it. Luckily she liked mine much better, so I got away well. Not sure if they will be in use as hair bands or bracelets, though. Teenagers think in mysterious ways, aren't they?








How I made them:

Round 1: 40 sc around a regular hair elastic, close with a slip stitch in the first sc (40)

Round 2: chain 2 (counts as the first dc), 2 dc in the same stitch, 3 dc in every sc of the previous round, close with a slip stitch in the chain stitch (120)

Round 3: chain 2 (counts as the first dc), 1 dc in the same stitch, 2 dc in every dc of the previous round,close with a slip stitch in the chain stitch (240)

Round 4: chain 2 (counts as the first dc), 1 dc in every dc of the previous round, close with a slip stitch in the chain stitch (240)

That's it!

I used cotton yarn for the scrunchies. Great way to lose some of your stash or leftovers.

~* ~

The post about my daughter, wanting to learn how to sew, was featured by Scrapality!




My Neo Herringbone Bag was featured this week by The Dedicated House!



Comments

  1. These are fabulous - I wish I could crochet to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are cute. Scrunchies are always getting lost or misplaced. I like the texture in these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are cute and unique and I can see them as both a scrunchie and a bracelet so you can't go wrong either way. Thanks for sharing. #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these, I did like a scrunchie back in the day. It's fun to see them back again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Pinning! I need to make some of these.

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us at Encouraging Hearts and Home. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these crocheted scrunchies! Your daughter is a lucky girl. This is one of my features on the Little Cottage Link Party tomorrow. I hope you can drop by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your scrunchies. I should make some for my daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so cute! What a great way to use up bits of yarn and to create something useful and fun!

    Thank you for joining the Grace at Home party at Imparting Grace. I'm featuring you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting. I have made fabric ones, and now wonder if there is a way to knit a scrunchie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there must be :-). Knit a square, fold it over and sew the edges together, thread elastic through it and close. That must be it. I'm not very good at knitting and don't really like it either, but otherwise I would make them this way.

      Delete
  11. These are adorable, Liz. It's a long time since I've crocheted. Time I to start again. I've featured your crocheted scrunchies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for featuring me in your hair accessories special!

      Delete
    2. Hi Liz, One of my readers has asked what size hook you have used.

      Delete
    3. I used a 3mm hook, because that was the size the yarn gave, but I guess you have to use a larger needle size if the yarn you use is thicker.

      Delete
  12. What a cute project! Scrunchies are becoming the new "super cool" thing again, so you should sell these on Etsy!! :)

    Thanks for sharing this post with us on the Embracing Home and Family Link-up party! Please join us again this Friday :)

    -Cherelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for pattern, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there, do you have any process photos to help a beginner crochetter like me? In particular, the first step where you SC around the elastic?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Thank you for telling what you think!

Popular posts from this blog

Plague Doctor (free pattern)

Crochet Bag

Fisherman's Lamp